In under 30 minutes you can have this quick and easy Pulled Chicken Burrito Bowl on the table. It’s made with chicken breast, slathered in Old Elpaso taco seasoning, baked in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, then pulled apart using two forks. 10 minutes of prep time with this easy Mexican recipe is all it takes to have a healthy clean eating dinner for dinner, with leftovers for your work lunch the next day.
What’s In A Pulled Chicken Burrito Bowl?
- Chicken Breast: I use 2 large skinless breasts and this feeds 4. Chicken works great as the main source of protein in this dish.
- Old Elpaso Taco Seasoning and Taco Sauce: I season the chicken before baking it, and the sauce is for serving
- Brown Rice: I love using brown rice and often buy the quick cook microwave varieties for busy weeknights.
- Blackbeans: This is the second source of protein. I use tinned blackbeans and they’re available from the Mexican or canned foods aisle at your supermarket
- Sweet Corn, Cherry Tomatoes, Red Onion, Cucumber: I love all these extras a they provide a burst of colour, crunch and texture.
- Avocado: Avocados provide a great source of good fats in your diet and also help us to stay fuller for longer. I love avocado!
- Salsa: My favourite is the Old Elpaso Medium chunk salsa for a bit of punch
- Sour Cream: Just a little, not too much. This really is the cherry on top.
- Lime Juice: For that extra bit of zing.
Tips For Making The Easiest Mexican Pulled Chicken Ever
If you’ve bought 2 large skinless chicken breasts, I find its best to chop each one into 3 pieces so that they cook quicker. Chopping them into pieces also means you can get more seasoning in there which adds to the overall flavour.
- Buy skinless chicken breasts
- Add the seasoning, olive oil and chicken pieces to a bowl to massage in the spices.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees C or 320 degrees F
- Use 2 forks to shred the chicken when it’s hot, straight out of the oven
- Squeeze a little lime over the shredded chicken before assembling the bowls
Can you Substitute the Chicken for Something Else?
Yes. This recipe works great with turkey breast as well, following the same steps.
Related Recipe: Colourful and Crunchy Ground Beef Burrito Bowls
How To Assemble a Pulled Chicken Burrito Bowl
These Mexican chicken bowls are easy to put together.
- Season the chicken and get it into the oven
- Make the guacamole
- Organize the rice, drain the canned blackbeans
- Grab our favourite bowl and put the rice onto the bottom
- Add the blackbeans, corn, tomatoes, and cucumber
- Add the shredded chicken
- Add guacamole on the side, with some sour cream, salsa and a wedge of lime.
This is one of my favourite weekend dinners to whip up because its so easy. Its takes just minutes of prep and is great for any season, and especially ideal for getting your clean eating back on track if you’ve recently fallen off the wagon!
Other Simple Mexican Recipes:
High protein, good fats, crisp, crunch, colour and texture. This dish ticks all the easy dinner boxes, and its packed with those Mexican flavours you just can’t get enough of. This is a healthy Mexican dish homemade.
Pulled Chicken Burrito Bowls
on the table. It’s made with chicken breast, slathered in Old Elpaso taco seasoning, baked in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, then pulled apart using two forks.
- 500 grams /1 pound Skinless Chicken Breast - approx. 2 large
- 1 cup Old Elpaso Salsa
- 1 packet Old Elpaso Burrito Seasoning
- 2 cups Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 ½ cups Black Beans
- 1 ½ cups Cherry Tomatoes - Sliced into quarters
- ½ cup Sweet Corn
- ½ cup Cucumber - diced
- ½ Red onion - finely diced
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Lime
- Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat Fan oven to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Chicken: Chop your chicken breasts into 3 large chunks each.
- In a large bowl, place the chicken, olive oil, and burrito seasoning. Use our hands to mix the seasoning and oil into the chicken so its thoroughly coated.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking tray (if using a non stick tray, use a little more oil before placing chicken in)
- Bake for 30 minutes – 180 degrees C/320 degrees F
- Remove chicken and use 2 forks to shred the meat in the baking tray.
- Make guacamole: mash up the avocado and add in the diced onion. Stir through, add a squeeze of lime juice and salt to taste.
- Assemble the Bowls: Place the brown rice on the bottom, and arrange on top in sections, the black beans, corn, chopped tomatoes, cucumber, and shredded chicken.
- Add a little salsa to the side of the chicken, along with guacamole and sour cream. Serve immediately.