Fragrant Coconut Jam Drops filled with rich raspberry jam, eaten two at a time, crumbs dropping to the floor as you knock back your favourite coffee, or glass of milk!
Not only are these jam drops healthy and sugar free, each one is less than 100 calories. I love making them with spelt flour, a non wheat flour which is more nutritious than ordinary highly processed white flour. It also has fewer calories, more protein content and is easier to digest which I have grown to appreciate as I have gotten older!
Making these Coconut Jam Drops reminds me of my childhood, of my mum and of growing up in the 80’s in a small regional town where everyone knew everyone’s name and everyone kept their doors open when they went out!
You see my mum used to make them for the tuckshop at the primary school my sister and I went to – along with these awesome fluffy pikelets! Mum was the tuckshop boss lady and all the kids loved her pikelets, jam drops and cheese and tomato sao’s!
Whilst I’m sure there was a lot of sugar involved in these recipes, they created many happy memories, many of which made me want to recreate my own healthier version – sugar free of course! Lower in calories, and or course with amazing flavour.
One of the things I think that really make these jam drops a winner is the addition of the coconut. It adds texture, moistness and gives the most amazing aroma when you lift the lid off the container and coconut wafts out and hits you.
Ah, These Coconut jam Drops Take Me Back
Yes, each time I eat one of these I am reminded of tuckshop days, school lunches, and long lines of kids jingling change in their pockets eagerly waiting and hoping that by the time they got to the front of the line there would still be some jam drops left!
Now, I can have my jam drop without the wait, the lines, or the change! My husband also tried these one evening after dinner and gave his tick of approval. This is important because he was there you see, in the tuckshop line, waiting for my mums jam drops. Actually his mum was probably helping my mum make them!
So did these jam drops transport him back to days gone by as they did for me?
Well, I just think they might of hit the mark! Just like these Coconut Mango Popsicles!
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook or Pinterest! Did you try a recipe? Tag me on Instagram: @mysugarfreekitchen, and leave a comment & star rating!
Coconut Jam Drops
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Bake in fan forced oven at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F for 25 minutes
- Grease 2 large baking trays with spray or additional butter
- Divide the dough in half (one for each tray)
- Roll the dough into balls and flatten slightly with the heel of your palm. Create a thumbprint with your thumb, or using a small spoon.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- Spoon jam into jam drops after they come out of the oven and they are still hot.
- Let the jam drops cool to room temperature (I usually leave mine on a wire rack covered with a tea towel)
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days.
- You could also try freezing these in ziplock bags for snacks on the go.
- I use St Dalfour Sugar Free Jams. IXL also have a sugar free jam range that is sweetened using stevia.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!