These delicate and light zesty sugar free lemon bars are easy to make, will cure cravings and are only 57 calories per slice. They are perfect for after dinner treats and to take the edge off when you need to indulge.
This recipe has 3 eggs in it and I do not like eggs, but I can tell you I could not stop eating these things. I’m not allergic or anything like that, I just don’t like the taste of things that are “eggy”. Never have. And I avoid quiche, frittata, and pavlova at all costs. I just can’t do it.
However I am a bit partial to some good old healthy baked goods, sugar free of course, like my Sugar Free Gingerbread, and Sugar Free Banana Muffins or these guilt free no bake Sugar Free Caramel Slice Bites, No Bake Creamy Coconut Lemon Slice and these Healthy Bounty Bars.
Actually, this recipe came about because I have previously had a somewhat mild obsession with the lemon bars at the deli up the road from our house. They are so addictive and I couldn’t stop buying them! Every time I went to get something (potatoes, bananas, yoghurt) you name it, I came home with a container of delicious high calorie, sugar laden lemon bars.
Not only was I putting on weight from eating them, I didn’t feel so good after I ate them! Too much sugar and other stuff that was not agreeing with me. But I still couldn’t; get enough of them. It is true what they say you know. Sugar is addictive. This is one of many of my not so good sugar experiences and vices that I have had to work through.
After several hours of research on how to make the most awesome lemon bars ever, I finally came up with this recipe. Some I saw called for double or more of the eggs, and I knew that was never going to happen.
Likewise, some called for a ridiculous amount of refined white sugar to balance out the sourness of the lemons. That also wasn’t going to happen!
These little gems though, are not eggy in the slightest. Nor are they laden with sugar. I think they are a winner. The perfect blend of sweet and sour. No egg after taste. No awful sugar high followed by a sugar low minutes after eating, and they are waistline friendly!
Oh, and they look pretty and are just the right size to fix a hankering for something sweet.
I think I have a new obsession. Sugar free lemon bars! Goodbye to those store bought ones.
Confession: I haven’t bought any of those lemon bars from the deli since I now have this recipe for my own. True:-)
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook or Pinterest! Did you try a recipe? Tag me on Instagram: @mysugarfreekitchen, and leave a comment & star rating!
Sugar Free Lemon Bars
- 1/2 cup Almond meal
- 2 tablespoons Granualted Stevia
- 1 medium egg white
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon Cornflour
- 1/4 cup Whipping Cream
- 3 medium Eggs
- 1/4 cup Granualted Stevia
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon juice
- Base: put all the ingredients for the base into a food processor and blitz until combined.
- Press into a baking tray lined with baking paper. I recommend using a rectangle loaf tin. (it might look like there is not enough dough but keep gently pushing it too the edges and it will be enough)
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C [350 degrees F] for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Filling: Add cornflour and cream to a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add in the eggs, stevia and lemon juice and whisk until combined.
- Once based is cooked, use a metal strainer to add the lemon filling (this can be done over the base straight from the oven)
- Put back in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees C [350 degrees F]
- Remove from oven and let it cool to room temperature
- Once at room temperature, put in fridge for 2 to 3 hours
- When it is cold, slice into 12 bars and store in an air tight container in the fridge.
- Bars will keep in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!