Simple Double Chocolate Banana Muffins made with chunks of sugar free chocolate are the ultimate portable snack, at home, on the go or in the office. These muffins are wickedly chocolate with hints of banana and a slight note of coffee.
Made with half plain flour and half almond flour, these muffins have a great texture – soft but not too soft. They’re also deliciously moist and contain no refined sugars as I used the all natural sweetener Natvia Baking Stevia instead of sugar. This makes them much more low calorie (200 calories each), and they’re not going to spike your sugar levels. Just like these Banana Pikelets.
So, basically you can eat one, and be satisfied without feeling like you have to eat 5 more. Each muffin also contains 5 grams of protein thanks to the almond meal which is another tick as more protein means they’ll keep you fuller for longer.
I love these muffins. This is one of my favourite muffin recipes to make!
TIP: The brand of sugar free chocolate I use is called “Well Natuurally” which is available at Woolworths in Australia or online here.
What makes this Double Chocolate Banana Muffin different?
Simple. Chunks of sugar free chocolate + chunks of ripe sweet banana + a subtle hit of coffee.
Plus you can have them on a plate in front of you with your coffee in less than 30 minutes. No special equipment required. Just a couple of bowls, spoons, and a muffin tray. Silicone muffin trays are my tray of choice these days – less mess and the muffs practically fall out of their own accord.
How to Make The Ultimate Double Chocolate Banana Muffin
- You’ll need so really ripe bananas. The more ripe the better. Also get your hands on some sugar free chocolate from your local supermarket. Doesn’t have to be chocolate chips, a bar is fine – just use a knife and cutting board to chopped it up into chunks.
- Make the coffee and let it cool to room temperature
- Put all the dry ingredients in one bowl
- Beat your egg
- Melt the butter and make a new bowl with all the wet ingredients, including the eggs, chocolate and cooled coffee
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix it all together
- Spoon it out into the muffin molds and bang it into the oven
- 25 minutes later, you’ve got muffins!
How to Store Your Muffins
A plastic air tight container is a must, kept at room temperature. They’ll last 3 to 4 days so long as the lid is on properly.
Other Sugar Free Chocolate Snack Recipes you might like to try —>>> Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge Cake, Chocolate Sweet Potato Muffins, Gluten Free Chocolate Mud Cake, and these Sugar Free Chocolate Bliss Balls.
How To Freeze Your Muffins
I always freeze some of these muffins because I want them to last me 8 or 9 days. I pop 4 muffins into a Ziploc bag, label and date the bag and into the freezer they go, making sure to lay them flat so they don’t get squished. They will last upto 6 weeks in the freezer and when you want to eat one, either let it defrost naturally for 1 hour, or if you can’t wait that long, zap it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Serve these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins for Dessert
These muffins would also be perfect for a Date Night dessert, or a dinner party with friends. Served on a pretty little plate with either a dollop of double cream, some sugar free vanilla ice cream, or sugar free custard. Gotta love a recipe that does double duty. Snack + Dessert.
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook or Pinterest! Did you try a recipe? Tag me on Instagram: @mysugarfreekitchen, and leave a comment & star rating!
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- ½ cup Butter melted
- ½ cup Granulated sweetener that measures like sugar
- ½ cup Wholemeal plain flour
- ½ cup Almond meal
- 2 teaspoons Cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 medium Eggs
- 1 1/3 cups Mashed Banana
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Instant coffee cooled to room temperature
- ¼ cup chopped Sugar Free Dark Chocolate
- Preheat Oven to 160 degrees C
- In a large mixing bowl, add the plain flour, almond meal, granulated sweetener, cream of tartar, bicarb and cocoa powder. Sir with a spoon until blended together.
- Whish the 2 eggs together in a separate bowl, and add to the dry ingredients along with the melted butter, chopped chocolate bits, cooled coffee and mashed banana
- Mix together with a spatula until combined.
- Grease 9 silicone muffin holders and spoon in the batter 2/3 of the way up each one.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before removing from molds.
- Store in air tight container at room temperature for 3 days, or store in Ziploc bags and freeze for upto 4 weeks
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!