This Sticky Chilli Beef and Broccoli is a truly easy and fast recipe. Delicious tangy pieces of thinly sliced beef together with crispy bright green broccoli full of fibre and iron. Only 413 calories per serve, this dish is low calories, high protein, and sugar free – just the natural sugars from the broccoli.
PRO TIP: The best way to have this meal on the table quickly is to have your meat already prepped. That is, it’s already thinly sliced just the way you like it, sealed in a ziplock bag in the freezer just waiting for you.
So, at least in my household for me it’s better to leave it in the freezer, prepped, and then to defrost it in the microwave when I’m about to use it. The amount of time it takes to defrost obviously depends on the size, but it’s generally less than 10 minutes. Plenty of time to chop the broccoli, pour a glass of wine and feed Charlie the dog.
Tips for meat prepping
- Medium sized Ziplock bags are my go to
- Write on the bag before you put the meat in it – include what it is and the date packed eg: “beef strips packed 15 Oct 17”
- Pack your bags in portion sizes – for me that is either servings for 2 people, or 4 people. I also write this on the bag before I put the meat in.
- Stack your meat packages in a plastic container in the freezer to keep them all together so they don’t get lost in freezer chaos (oops, that might just be my freezer)
If you didn’t have broccoli on hand for this recipe, or if you don’t really like it, try it with green beans, carrot, or zucchini. One, two, or all three vege. That’s the beauty of this dish, you really can use whatever vege you have in the fridge.
This is one of those dishes that you don’t have to think much about which is why it’s one of my favourite Dinners, kind of like my Chilli Basil Chicken made with fresh basil from my garden, and Salmon Curry In A Hurry.
Coming home from work after having left at 7.15 in the morning, finishing at 4.30, gym at 5.30, home by 6.30pm, all I want to do is relax….and work on my blog. So, dinner quick stix is a must. But nothing from a box, no bought in takeaway and no vegemite on toast.
Just a real homemade, uber healthy protein packed, low carb, sugar free dinner packed with zingy flavour and gorgeous greens! Gee, I feel healthier even just thinking about this meal. Might make it for dinner tonight.
If you’re on a path to transform your eating habits, to start feeling more energised and motivated and to kick sugar cravings, this recipe is for you.
Sticky Chilli Beef and Broccoli
- 450 grams or 1 lb. Beef thinly sliced into strips
- 250 grams or 1/2 lb. Broccoli cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon Peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons Light soy
- 2 tablespoons Crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons Mild chilli paste
- 2 teaspoons Lime juice fresh or bottled
- 2 teaspoon White sesame seeds
- Half fill a saucepan with water and put a steamer on top with lid. Set temperature to high
- Chop up broccoli and add to steamer. Cook on high for about 5 mins.
- Heat a wok on high and add peanut oil
- Add the meat and cook until it browns up
- Add the sauce and toss through for another 2 minutes until cooked and shiny
- Plate up with beef on one side and broccoli on the other side. Finish with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and some fresh chillies for an extra kick.
- I used lean rump steak sliced very thinly
- I use Garden Gourmet Mild Chilli Paste
- To test if Broccoli is done, prod with a fork. It should still have some resistance. It will also turn a beautiful vibrant green in the steamer. Avoid overcooking and ending up with squishy broccoli as it will lose all its valuable nutrients.
- To speed up the preparation of this dish, buy your meat and cut it up in advance and freeze in ziplock bags. Then all you need to do is defrost in the microwave whilst you’re cutting up the broccoli and preparing the sauce