This Asian slow cooker lemon chicken and potatoes takes a few minutes of prep, then its set and forget for 6 hours in your slow cooker. Its tender, saucy, savory, sweet and spicy chicken, packed with asian flavors.
I should point out that this dish isn’t overly lemony. Not like Chinese lemon chicken, or even my Healthy Asian Lemon Chicken Tenders. Its got a mild hint of chilli balanced with the coolness of a little honey, pumped up by lemon, garlic, ginger and soy and let me tell you, this combination is one of my favourites.
- Chicken: Skinless chicken thigh is best. It’s lower in fat and well, the skin is just not really necessary.
- Browning: Browning off the chicken thighs in a skillet before you put them into the slow cooker is enough to the create a golden crispness on the outside. This is an essential step to sear the meat and lock in flavour as well as to create those delicious golden crispy bits that will become more amplified during the slow cooker process. (please don’t skip the browning!)
- Onions: It might look like a lot of onion, but it’s not. It adds an enormous amount of flavour during the cooking process and most of it will cook down to barely anything after 6 hours.
- Slow Cooking: 6 hours is just the right amount of time on low in your slow cooker. I have a slow cooker without a timer (it defaults to 8 hours) so I have to use another alarm to manually turn it off after 6 hours otherwise the chicken will be too mushy
- Spices: If you don’t like spice, you can omit the dried chilli powder and smoked paprika altogether, or reduce it to half the amount listed.
- Sweetener: Granulated Monkfruit sweetener that measures like sugar is what I used to balance the spice. Alternatively you could use the same amount of sugar free maple syrup.
If you love meals under 500 calories, this is one to put on your list. The chicken is that perfect mix of sweet, savory and spicy.
There is a good bit of sauciness with this recipe so it’s great to have something to mop it up with. If you’re anything like me you don’t want to miss out on all that flavour. I actually think the sauce is one of the best parts!
- Cauliflower Rice
- Broccoli Rice
- Zucchini Noodles
- Mashed Cauliflower (my favorite)
You might also like:
No Slow Cooker?
Make this dish using a casserole dish with lid and bake in the oven at 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.
Slow cooker lemon chicken thighs are super easy to make, and it’s a budget friendly meal as well.
Its great to take to work as leftovers, it freezes well, and it can be made more or less spicier depending on your preferences. I love this dish and I hope you will too. It’s my kind of clean eating comfort food.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Spiced Stew
- Slow Cooker Lamb Ragu with Papperdelle
- Slow Cooker Beef Korma
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Slow Cooker India Mango Chicken
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Thighs
- 2 tablespoons White sesame seeds
- 2 Green shallots sliced thinly
- Brown Chicken: In a large non stick pan or skillet, heat one tablespoon of oil of medium to high heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook until brown (around 4 to 5 minutes). Once browned, transfer to slow cooker.
- Lightly Cook Onions, Garlic, GInger: Add the second tablespoon of oil to the pan/skillet and add the sliced onions. Cook until they just start to soften. Then add the garlic and ginger and stir through for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: Stir through the lemon juice, sweetener and soy sauce. Add the chilli powder and smoked paprika and stir through. Bring to the boil then remove from heat.
- Cook: Add the onion mixture to the slow cooker on top of the chicken. Put lid on and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
Note: Sugars contained in this recipe are from naturally occurring sugars in fruits, vegetables or other natural sweeteners. Calories have been calculated for your convenience using My Fitness Pal and are based on the ingredients listed in the recipe card.