This apple pie filling is so good on its own. It has large chunks of soft juicy granny smith apple, lightly spiced with cinnamon, cloves and mixed spice, and its sugar free with natural sweetness.
Apple Pie Filling, Naturally Sweetened
I used granny smith apples in my filling which have a a little bit of a tart, tangy flavour and are perfect for things like apple pies and apple sauce.
The granny smith apple is an apple that originated in Australia, and dates back to the 1860’s. This apple has to be one of the most recognised of apples. I’m sure there are many an aussie kid who had one of these in their school lunchbox back in the day, and even now! I know I did!
Granny smith apples are awesome to eat fresh, perfect for cooking because they keep their shape, and taste great dehydrated! You know apple pie filling really has to be one of the all time best healthy comfort foods. It definitely is for me!
I have used a tablespoon of natvia stevia sweetener in this recipe to offset the tart sharpness of the apple, however if you don’t have this you could also use a tablespoon of honey, but this will increase the calories.
Tips on How To Make This Recipe Your Own
- Instead of 5 granny smith apples, do 3 apples and 2 pares
- Add some ground ginger to your spice mix
- Add a pinch of ground chilli, sezchuan pepper or chineese five spice to your spice mix
- Stir through a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk once the apples are cooked to create “milky apples”
- Roast off some walnuts and sprinkle on top before serving
I love eating apple pie filling, on its own, with ice cream, with custard, with jelly, and inside a nice crusty pastry! Hello apple pie! These apples are so versatile and cooking up a batch on a Sunday afternoon will last you three or 4 days. Nice! Dessert sorted! If you’re into all things spiced apple like me, check out my sugar free apple ginger muffins – perfect for weekday snacks, and they’re freezer friendly!
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook or Pinterest! Did you try a recipe? Tag me on Instagram: @mysugarfreekitchen, and leave a comment & star rating!
Apple Pie Filling - Chunky and Lightly Spiced
- 5 medium Granny smith green apples
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Stevia (add an extra teaspoon if you like it a bit sweeter)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoons of lime juice
- ½ teaspoon Mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla bean paste
- Peel and chop apples into chunks, making sure to get all the peel off
- Place into a saucepan on medium to low heat with all other ingredients
- Heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until fragrant and apples are starting to soften. (if you overcook the apples they will turn to mush, so remember to keep an eye on them to get the softness you’re after)
- Plate up and serve with sugar free ice cream or sugar free custard.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!