Salmon curry in a hurry is a simple and easy Thai salmon curry recipe made with coconut milk green thai curry paste. It's perfect for midweek dinners, packed with heart healthy crispy skin salmon, rich creamy curry sauce and crunchy fried shallots, sesame seeds, and sweet juicy green peas.
Why You Should Make This
- It’s a super basic spicy salmon curry in a hurry recipe, that is super easy and super tasty!
- This curry is light. It’s healthy. It’s Simple. Its Tasty and Its quick.
This salmon curry in a hurry recipe is made with just 6 ingredients:
- Good quality salmon, rice of your choice, coconut milk, green thai curry paste, fish sauce and lime juice.
- It's backed with good omega 3 fats, and you can add in your favourite veges for even more added fibre.
- Green peas, broccoli, beans, carrots are all great options.
- Even frozen diced veges would go beautifully.
If you've never made a curry at home, this is a great 15 minute curry to start with. Or you may like to try this Healthy Salmon Burger you can make at home.
How To Make Salmon With Crispy Skin
The trick with this curry dish is getting the salmon right – crispy, but not burnt, nicely blackened without the charcoal! It’s actually pretty easy and not that different form how I cooked this Chilli Soy Salmon with Sesame Noodles.
- Pat the salmon dry with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add a little salt and pepper
- Heat a pan or skillet on medium to high heat and lay the salmon flat side down. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn salmon and cook other side for 2 minutes with the lid on
- Salmon should be nice and crispy and golden brown.
Tips for Cooking Thai Salmon Curry
- You don't need oil. Its not necessary because the salmon itself is an oily fish
- Use foil to cover the salmon if you don't have a lid for your pan. Whatever you use it just needs to keep the heat in to speed up the cooking process
- Don't turn the salmon unnecessarily. Turn once onto the side its cooking on and leave it there for the specified duration without turning so it can develop its crispiness and golden colour
- This is a 15 minute curry, so its all about working quick and having things at your fingertips before you start
Which Curry Paste Is Best For A Spicy Salmon Curry?
For this salmon curry in a hurry recipe I used the "Volcom" brand of green thai curry paste which I love.
Green curry paste is not super hot, but not super mild. I think it's somewhere in the middle of curry pastes, although depending on the amount you use you could make this either a medium curry or a mild curry.
- 1 tablespoon of curry paste would result in a mild curry.
- 2 tablespoons of curry paste would result in a mild to medium curry
- 3 tablespoons of curry paste would result in a nice spicy medium curry that is not too hot
Equally though you could use red thai curry paste. Volcom also make that version.
Can You Use Coconut Cream in Cream in a Salmon Curry?
I would not use coconut cream as it would make the curry to thick. Using coconut cream allows you too get that luscious, almost velvet curry sauce that's not too thick and not to thin.
What about Light Coconut Milk?
Sure, you could use the light coconut milk, but the curry sauce would be runnier, maybe more soup like as opposed to curry like, unless you used a thickener like cornstarch. A thickener though would start to take away from the intense curry flavour.
Looking to make something with leftovers you can take to work the next day? This is salmon curry in a hurry recipe makes for great leftovers. I always make an extra portion for work the next day. It's as easy as storing it overnight in an air tight microwave safe container and when you're ready for it the next day, microwave for 2 to 2.5 minutes and lunch is sorted.
This is one of those easy salmon recipes I love because it's just so quick to pull together. I always tend to have salmon portions frozen in the freezer, rice, curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce and bottled lime juice in the pantry so this is a perfect recipe to have in your back pocket when you've got nothing planned for dinner, or you know you're going to be home late but still want a clean healthy dinner.
More Salmon Recipes >>>>> This deliciously addictive Salmon Burrito Bowls recipe, this salmon with leeks and lentils and my Spicy Salmon Stirfry that will get your tastebuds dancing.
Salmon Curry In A Hurry
- 2 x 150 gram or 2 x ⅓ lb. salmon fillets
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 cup or 250 ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon Thai green curry paste
- 1 teaspoon Fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Rice: Boil rice to packet instructions. I do mine in the rice cooker – 1 cup to 2 cups of water, and press the cook button which goes for about 20 minutes.
- Salmon: Pat dry salmon with a paper towel to remove any dampness or moisture. (This will help to get a nice crisp outside)
- Heat a frypan on high and place salmon flat side down in the pan.
- Put a saucepan lid over the frypan and let salmon cook on one side for about 3 to 4 minutes .
- Turn salmon and cook on the other side for another 1 to 2 minutes, covered again with the saucepan lid.
- Curry Sauce: Whilst salmon is cooking, heat a non-stick saucepan on medium heat and add the curry sauce. Stir for a minute until it becomes fragrant.
- Add in the coconut milk and stir until it is combined with the curry paste.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice and salt and stir to combine.
Note: Sugars contained in this recipe are from naturally occurring sugars in fruits, vegetables or other natural sweeteners.
Hi Kim this sounds great but can you clarify salmon cooking time please? The time given in the actual recipe seems a lot and differs from the time given earlier in the post. thank you.
Hi Glenice, Cook salmon flat side down for 3 to 4 minutes, covered with lid, and turn and cook other side for 1 to 2 minutes, covered. This is how I like my salmon - firm on the outside and moist in the middle, but feel free to cook a bit longer on each side if you like yours more cooked through.
This looks incredible! Yum!
Yes it is super tasty! I make it at least every couple of weeks. It's one of my go to dishes for easy weeknight meals.