Raw Caramel Slice Recipe
This Raw Caramel Slice is a delicious cross between an indulgent dessert and a healthy treat. Gooey caramel, nutty base, and easy homemade dark chocolate on top all come together in a generous sized bar that contains no refined white or brown sugars and is dairy free.
Servings 10 slices
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted
- ½ cup Pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup Sugar free natural peanut butter crunchy
- ¼ cup Coconut oil melted
- ⅔ cup Cocao powder
- ⅔ cup Coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons Pure maple syrup
Blitz the roasted almonds to a crumb in a food processor, then add the pitted dates, melted coconut oil and sea salt flakes. Blitz until a wet crumb is formed.
Line a rectangle loaf tin with baking paper (see note 3 for size). Press the crumb mixture into the base of the tin, using your fingers or the back of a spoon. If crumbs are sticking to your fingers, dampen them with a little water.
Set the base in the fridge for 30 minutes.
In a clean food processor, place all the ingredients for the date caramel and blitz until combined and a thick caramel is formed.
Using two dessert spoons, spoon the caramel out over the base, so that it reaches all the sides of the tin, smoothing the top with back of spoon.
Set in the fridge for 4 hours
- Storage: Store slice in the fridge in an air tight container. It will keep for 1 week.
- Almonds: If you can’t buy roasted almonds, buy plain almonds, and roast them in the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees C, 320 degrees F.
- Tin Size: I used a rectangle loaf tin 10.5 inches by 4.5 inches or in centimeters - 26.5cm by 11.5cm.
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 15g