Healthy Stewed Apples
Sweet juicy tender chunky apples, ready in under just 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold, for breakfast, dessert or anything in between.
Servings 4 servings
- 7 large Granny smith green apples (see note 1)
- 1 tablespoon Monkfruit Sweetener (White)
- 1 tablespoon Tap water
- 1 tablespoon Lime juice
- ½ teaspoon Mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cloves
Peel apples into chunks, making sure to get all the peel off from the edges
Chop apples into bite sized chunks, about 2cm x 2 cm or 1/2 inch squares
Add chopped apples a pan on stove on medium heat, along with all other ingredients. (don;t use a lid on the pan)
Cook for 12 minutes or until fragrant and apples are starting to soften. (Make sure to put a timer on). Stirring every couple of minutes to ensure apples cook evenly through.
Taste apples to see if they are cooked to your liking after 12 minutes, if not cook for another couple of minutes.
- Apples: Granny smith apples are a tart green apple commonly sold in supermarkets in Australia. Other apples that would work just a s well are Baldwin, Cameo, Cortland, Idared. These are all varieties of tart and crisp apples that hold thier shape well during cooking and baking.
- Monkfruit: I used classic white monkfruit sweetener which is a sgranulated sweetener that measures like sugar. Granulated stevia or any other granulated sweetener that measures like sugar could also be used.
- Spices: any spice combination may be used, ginger is also another popular option.
- Storage: Store apples in an air tight container in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.
- Serving: Serve with sugar free custard, or sugar free ice cream.
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 22g