Sugar Free Apple Crumble
This Sugar Free Apple Crumble is an easy and delicious healthy dessert for any time of the year or season. With rich plump granny smith apples, warming spices and the slight tang of lime, this is one of my all time favourite desserts and one I have made dozens of times over the years.
Servings 6 servings
Preheat oven to 180 degrees F/350 degrees F
Peel the apples and chop into large chunks. About 1.5 cm cubes.
In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped apples, 2 tablespoons flour, granulated sweetener, and ground ginger. Stir with a spoon. Squeeze over lemon juice and stir again.
Add the apples to a baking dish (medium sized round or square is ideal)
Place all the crumble ingredients into a bowl and use your fingers to squish the butter through so that is forms a sticky crumble.
Spread crumble over the apple and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden.
Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving with Sugar Free Custard, Sugar Free Ice Cream, or Double Cream.
- I used ½ teaspoon of ground ginger to add extra flavour to my apple crumble. Instead of ground ginger spice, you could add the same quantity of fresh grated ginger.
- Use a tart cooking apple, such as Granny Smith Apples
- If you only have sweeter apples on hand, use a little extra lemon juice to create extra tartness.
- Don’t cut the apples to small or too thin. Apples should be cut into large chunks so that they retain a slight firmness after cooking.
- Get the right ratio of apple to crumble. I find 8 large apples works for a crumble made with 1 cup large rolled oats and 1 cup of spelt flour.
- Don’t over cook so they apples go mushy. Use a toothpick to test the firmness.
- No pre cooking of the apples is required. Place raw apple filling into a baking dish, followed by the crumble topping and pop into the oven for 40 to 45 minutes at 180 degrees F/350 degrees F
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 28g