Slow Cooker Moroccan Beef Stew
This slow cooked Moroccan beef stew is a rich, hearty and aromatic meal perfect for cool winter nights. Packed with spices, tomato flavour and vegie goodness, this is a stew you won’t tire of.
Servings 4 people
- 500 grams / 1.1 lb. Beef, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- I medium Parsnip, chopped small
- ½ cup Celery, chopped
- 4 medium Button mushrooms, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon Crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 445 grams / 15.7 oz. Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon Ground Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 cups Pearl Cous Cous
Brown the chopped up beef. I have mine cut up fairly small as I find it seems to go further. I brown the beef in my slow cooker, but if yours can’t do this, brown the beef off in a frypan first
Add the spices and mix in well.
Add the veges and stir in
Add the garlic, tomato paste, and tin tomatoes. Stir to combine.
Add the water – about ¼ of a cup. Remember there will still be juices that come out of the meat and the other liquids will thin out as they heat, so better to no add too much additional liquid aside from the ¼.
Set to cook on low for 8 hours.
Once stew is cooked, make the cous cous. Add the 2 cups of cous cous to 1 ½ cups of water and bring to the boil. Taste test before taking off the heat to ensure it is cooked to your liking
- In leiu of the all the spices listed above, you could just try using 3 tablespoons of Moroccan seasoning if that is all you have on hand – for example, sometimes I use the masterfoods Moroccan seasoning when I don’t feel like measuring out all the spices. BUT, I have to say that doing the spices from scratch, does make for a much tastier, richer dish!
- This stew freezes perfectly so if you are making ahead, divide up into portions and store in the freezer for up to 8 weeks.
Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 7g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g