Sugar Free Ketchup
Simple and quick homemade sugar free ketchup, full of tomato flavour.
- ¾ cup tomato puree/tomato passata
- ¼ cup Unsweetened apple sauce/apple puree see note 3
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Raw honey or Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener see note 5
- 2 tablespoons White vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon Onion salt
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
Add the tomato puree/passata to a pot on medium to high heat, stir for 1 minute until heated
Add the apple sauce and stir through. Next add the tomato paste, honey (or lakanto monkfruit sweetener if using that) and vinegar and stir for a further 3 minutes until hot (don’t bring it to the boil as this will thin it our too much)
Add the garlic salt, onion salt and ground paprika and stir through.
Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
Pour sauce into a jug with a spout and pour into sauce bottle (I used glass, but plastic sauce bottles would work too.) Secure lid tightly and refrigerate overnight before using.
- Quantity: This recipe makes about 1 cup, which I broke into 8 servings. Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, using Monkfruit as the sweetener. If using honey, the calories will be slightly higher.
- Storage: Sauce will keep for 7 days in the fridge.
- Apple sauce/apple puree: avoid buying apple sauce from the big supermarkets as they are loaded with sugar. Instead, you can purchase unsweetened applesauce from most health food shops or you can try making your own.
- To Serve: Wedges with garlic salt and rosemary, over you favourite steak, on a burger, or anything else that takes your fancy!
- Use only the raw honey or the monkfruit sweetener, Do not use both as it will be far too sweet.
Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g