Chocolate Avocado Cake
This double layer Clean Eating Chocolate Avocado Cake is deliciously moist, light and airy. Made with Raw honey and lashings of rich dark chocolate avocado frosting, this is a refined sugar free chocolate cake that is Paleo friendly, full of fibre and wickedly moreish.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 10 servings
- 3/4 cup 100 grams Coconut flour
- 3/4 cup 100 grams Tapioca flour (see note 1)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup 75 grams Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 medium eggs
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon 85 grams Avocado Oil
- 3/4 cup 225 grams Raw honey
- 2 tablespoons Expresso coffee cooled
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup Almond milk
- pinch of salt
Chocolate Avocado Mousse Frosting
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup Raw honey
- 2 tablespoons Avocado Oil
- ½ teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 1 tiny pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) and grease 2 round springform tins, with a little coconut oil spray, or butter. Also line the base with greaseproof baking paper.
In a large bowl, mix the coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder and set aside.
In a second large bowl, add the avocado oil, unsweetened cocoa powder, raw honey, vanilla extract and cooled coffee and mix together until it looks like chocolate.
In the same bowl as the chocolate ingredients, one at a time, add the eggs, stirring after each one.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, whisking making sure there are no lumps, and the batter is thick and glossy.
Whisk in the milk until thoroughly mixed in.
Evenly divide mixture between the (20 cm/8 inch) two cake tins and smooth out the top with back of a spoon.
Bake the cakes for 35 minutes. (To test, insert a cake skewer and if it comes out clean, cakes are done)
Once finished cooking, remove from oven and cool in the cake tins for 5 minutes, then release from tin and let cool on a wire rack.
FROSTING: Whilst cake is cooling, make the Chocolate Avocado Frosting. Add the avocado flesh to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Then add remaining ingredients and process until thoroughly combined, scraping down the sides a couple of times to make sure it is all processed evenly.
ASSEMBLY: Place one cake on a plate, and lather 1/2 of the frosting on the top, then place the second cake on top and lather another 1/2 of the frosting on top.
- Arrowroot starch can be used is place of the tapioca flour in the same quantity.
- Store cake in an airtight container in the fridge for upto 4 days.
- The sugars on the nutrition label are from the raw honey used in this recipe.
Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 24g